Friday 27 April 2012

My details for the show

Just finished writing my details for the show, which opens a week today, how exciting! I am happy with what they say, just hoping they get a good reception now.

Work Description
Paper, biro, coloured felt pen and wire
160cm x 80cm
Balancing act
An extract from an observation period of two months, the piece displays strong links between waking and dream life. The piece illustrates the delicate balance of conscious, controlled decisions made in waking life, and the untameable nature of our dreams.

Artist Statement
 My medium is in transition; I do not have a particular tool that I feel tethered too. During this project, I have experimented with handwritten text, a medium we are beginning to see less and less as we progress though the digital age. I constantly feel overwhelmed with high-tech devices, so the handwritten diary entries began when I wished to uncover how much technology was influencing my life. The work soon took on a life of its’ own, and was spurred on when I introduced my dream recollections, alongside the daily entries. I have always been influenced by the unpredictable nature of dreams and how they can influence our waking lives.  Dreams are mysterious and bewildering, they can bewilder yet instil ideas simultaneously, and they refuse to be controlled. I have found that whilst you can control waking life, as much as you desire, a dream cannot be tamed. My study has been influenced by sleep patterns, psychoanalysis and Freud’s writing ‘The Interpretation of Dreams’.  I believe a dream is just a different way to think, a channel to process thoughts, interaction and daily events, without interruption. We underestimate the importance of dreaming.


We start to put the show up on Monday, I can't wait to see my work hung up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All Suggestions Welcomed :)